Change of priority at Chepstow junction extremely dangerous, says AM

MONMOUTH Assembly Member Nick Ramsay has written to the Welsh Government’s Transport Minister, Edwina Hart AM, expressing serious safety concerns about the change of priority at junction 2 of the M48 Chepstow exit westbound.

Mr Ramsay is urging the Minister to reconsider the new priority setting, which he describes as “extremely dangerous.”

Speaking on Wednesday, he said:

“Several constituents have contacted me to complain about the change of priority at this junction. Previously it was possible to use both lanes to exit from the old Severn Bridge to Chepstow but this year, this has been changed. Vehicles can now only use the left hand side lane if they want to go to the business park, leaving the right hand side lane for vehicles wanting to go either on the M48, on the A466 towards Chepstow or Conway drive towards Thornwell.

“The situation creates traffic queues blocking the two lanes on the bridge, sometimes right up to the middle of the bridge.

“One constituent has described the situation as ‘‘terribly dangerous’ as the drivers don’t always realise there is a queue to exit and vehicles are forced to break very suddenly. There have apparently been several near misses and constituents say they fear it is only a matter of time before an accident occurs.

“I am not sure why this change has been enforced and have asked the Minister to investigate the issue as a matter of urgency, with a view to reconsider this new, very dangerous priority setting.”

Advertisements

2 responses to “Change of priority at Chepstow junction extremely dangerous, says AM

  1. I’d just like to say that there is a big queuing problem on the M48 Junction 2 which was not previous there before. I use this commute every day for work and this adds about 10 minutes to an already long journey. There hardly appears to be any traffic in the left hand lane of the slip road going to the Newhouse Ind Est so everyone uses the right hand lane to go to the other 3 exits. I had a note stuck on my car windscreen this morning from someone threatening to smash in my car windows over what this person considered to be me going past him in the wrong lane. It really seemed like a very badly thought out decision by the Highways Agency. Are there any plans to change it back to how it was, thereby eliminating the problem? I am sure you have had many similar complaints.

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s